Tag Archives: 1902

On The Street…Central District, Seattle,WA

Horace Mann School

Horace Mann School

Horace Mann School

Seattle is lucky to have some beautiful school buildings. This 1902 Neoclassical structure designed by Charles Saunders is a superb example. Originally called the “Walla Walla” school (which was the name for the neighborhood at that time), it was renamed “Horace Mann” in 1921. It served as an elementary school until 1968 and then as Nova Alternative High School.  Note, Charles Saunders designed five Seattle public schools, this is the last one remaining. Central District, Seattle, WA, USA. Neoclassical, 1902 Charles Saunders

On The Street…First Hill, Seattle, WA

Roman Catholic Archbiship's Residence

Roman Catholic Archbishop’s Residence

Built in 1902 for W.D.Hoflus, the head of a firm that supplied structural steel.  Purchased by the Catholic Church in 1920 for Bishop O’Dea after his home was lost to fire. Note the copper roof, terra-cotta porch and veranda, dormers and Juliet balcony. First Hill, Seattle, WA, USA, Italianate Gothic 1902